Phnom Penh, February 11, 2021: Minister of Post and Telecommunications Vandeth Chea met with H.E. Pablo Kang, Australia’s ambassador to Cambodia, to discuss cooperation projects. Minister Chea highlighted some of MPTC’s key projects and developments, including the following:
1. The draft cybersecurity law: stated for completion by April 2021 and will be provided to the Australian Embassy for review and comments.
2. Training programs for officials on cybersecurity and related fields including emergency response system, preventive measures to avoid disruption to government’s network connectivity, risk assessment of standards, capacity building programs and digital signature.
3. Delegation of ministry officials to participate in Australian embassy’s Cyber Bootcamp program.
4. Dissemination of information on scholarship opportunities sponsored by the Australian government to MPTC officials.
5. Foster partnership between Cambodia Academy of Digital Technology (CADT) and universities in Australia to provide technical and political training for government officials and promote research and development.
6. MPTC’s request of two technical experts from the Australian embassy to assist Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia (TRC).
7. Request to link Australia’s digital learning content to MPTC’s e-library app, currently under development for the general public.
In response, Ambassador Kang welcomed the proposals by Minister Chea and the important role of MPTC in promoting the country’s Digital Economy. Ambassador Kang also discussed the Australia-Mekong cooperation program and the Australian government’s scholarship program that had contributed to the human resource development and technical trainings for officials on priority fields including cybersecurity. The Embassy would inform MPTC the specific date of the upcoming Cyber Bootcamp program this May 2021 once the details had been confirmed. In addition, Ambassador Kang expressed interest in the cooperation project with CADT and intended to visit the Academy in the future. Regarding the consultation on draft laws and request of experts to TRC, Ambassador Kang welcomed the requests and advised the technical teams to discuss details.
Lastly, both sides reiterated the significance of mutual cooperation and commitment to achieve the above-mentioned initiatives into concrete action and results.